I was recently in contact with Fordham Prep in New York. They have one of the most amazing language departments, offering seven different languages. After inquiring how they distribute their students across languages I found out that they require their students to take one year of Latin or Greek as freshmen and then let them free to take the language they desire. Check out their website , it is inspiring.
As I mentioned before there could be some philosophical opposition to the inception of a Chinese program that is sponsored by the communist Chinese government. Someone may have a problem with a China sponsored program but be totally fine with the teaching of Chinese though different means. This AP article reports such a debate going on not far from here, in Hacienda Heights.
In this article the focus is on Chinese and Arabic studies. The challenges and the help that is available to implement these languages is covered in this piece. I noted that the department of state ranks languages by their level of difficulty to learn. Both Arabic and Mandarin are level 4 (the highest) languages. At a school like ours where we depend very little on previous knowledge of the language at the elementary and junior high level, is it reasonable to aim at implementing such high demand tongues?
Comments
Post a Comment